FOLLOW BY EMAIL...

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

THE BATTLE HAS JUST BEGUN...ROUND TWO......

I will try to make a cogent thought or so in this blog, but it will be very hard because of the news we just received.

About an hour ago, Andrew's oncologist called saying that Andrew has a myeloid leukemia type cancer that is extremely rare!  How rare?  She was only able to pull from 10 cases for information.  Instead of a chronic case, this is an aggressive acute case of cancer.  There is no data on remission rates or survival rates because of the rarity of cases to go on.  Dr. Morgan said that this will be a fight and that if left untreated, he will lose his life. Since this cancer is so rare, the chemo protocol that Andrew will begin was based on what the cancer most resembles.  So it is with great sadness, that Andrew will be going into the hospital for the next 10 days for chemotherapy. We will meet Dr. Morgan tomorrow to go over things, then Andrew will get an echocardiogram to look around his heart, get a spinal tap to see if the cancer has spread to his brain and then be admitted to start his intensive round of chemo.  If all goes right, he will be discharged and then we will wait to see if the cancer has gone into remission or is getting eradicated. When Andrew's is in remission, he will be able to get a bone marrow transplant that will potentially save his life. That's if we find a donor!  Of course, like his intensive chemo 3 years ago, he most probably will be back because of low counts and fever caused by the chemotherapy.  He will have nausea and bouts with vomiting that will be a definite.

As I got off the phone with Dr. Morgan, Jennifer and I just wailed and wept in sadness and grief over our son and held each other.  We made some conference calls to tell my immediate family and our church leadership, because we are just too drained to call individually.  Even in the midst of my aching and grief, there is a space in my heart that has a modicum of peace knowing that God will take care of things.  But there was a lot of doubt and fear that overcame me. I wept in sadness, because Andrew will be bed ridden for quite sometime.  Guys, he looks great right now and he is just being a kid, but we know that there is an insidious disease trying to destroy his body. I am so sad, because he was, ironically, having so much fun the past few weeks.  Now it will come to an abrupt end.

As many of you know, Andrew just got his license yesterday and has taken advantage of this reality by borrowing his mother's car and conveniently chauffeuring his friends around Hinsdale.  It doesn't hurt that he does not have to take finals!  Jenn and I decided that we wouldn't tell Andrew, Emily and Bry until we meet tonight around 8:30 after Emily's cheerleading.  Please pray for comfort and support as we break the news to Andrew and the rest of the kids.  Pastor Michael from our church will be at the meeting to support us and pray for us.

Here are some specific prayer requests:


-Please pray for comfort from all the chemotherapy Andrew will be receiving the next ten days.


-Pray that the chemo would be effective in eradicating the cancer, so Andrew will be healthy 
enough to get a bone marrow transplant which will potentially save his life.


-Pray that his sister Emily, who has the best chance to be a match, will be a COMPLETE BONE MARROW MATCH  so she can donate it to her big bro.


-Pray for our family logistically, as we still have two beautiful girls to attend to and other household duties. Also pray that my car can get fixed as it has failed emission tests and we will need two cars most definitely now.


-Pray for Emily (14) and Bry (9) that God would watch over them mentally and emotionally through this hard time.


-Pray that God's grace would be recognized by my whole family in the midst of some crappy circumstances!


-Pray for Jennifer and myself so we can be strong for Andrew and the girls.  


Jenn and I have a special requests.  If there are any Bible verses or other thoughts and words of encouragement you can share, please make them in the comments section.  I know that we are not alone, but it it's nice to read that you guys are out there.  I feel like our family will be leaning on you all more this time around! 


I am comforted knowing that the prayers of God's elect is on a hotline with our God! Please continue to pray for Andrew in earnest until he is cancer free!


So my dear friends and family I end this post with a verse from the Bible from 2 Corinthians 5:7:

"We live by faith and not by sight."


So that's what the Park Family will do, walk by faith and not by sight, trusting that Christ is in control, whatever the outcome.

Love,
Joe


video

23 comments:

  1. Opa and Jenn,

    Our hearts break with yours and we are running this race with you. We lift our precious Andrew up. All your prayer requests are being prayed for by us and everyone we know. We love you, Pam and Larry

    Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. (Psalm 61:1-4)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I'm Christine a friend of Noel's. She shared your blog on her Facebook page asking for prayers for your son and family.
    After reading today's entry my heart is aching for all of you. I will keep Andrew and "his army" in my prayers. May you have peace in the storm and find hope, comfort and healing in HIS constant presence! I also wanted to share a sermon with you. It's by a Pastor (Britt Merrick) who's daughter has been fighting cancer. The sermon this link will lead you two was given after her cancer came back...

    "Struck Down But Not Destroyed"
    http://vimeo.com/13438975

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joe and Jenn,
    I used to attend Calvary and have been following your other blog and have been praying for your family. I went through a similar pain a few years back as my mom battled cancer. My heart aches to hear this update about Andrew. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that God will show His power and heal Andrew completely.

    Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is Gods will for you in Christ (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe and Jenn,

    We are so sorry to hear this news. And I'm honestly angry ... angry at sin's presence in our world that causes so much heartache and pain. We will continue to pray for you guys as you face this new challenge.

    "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

    - 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Park family,
    Just wanted to let you know that we're praying for you!!... I'm not sure what to say, but I pray that you will hold onto the promise that His love is real and absolutely nothing can separate us from that (romans 8:38-39), and that He will be your strength. we're praying for you! keep fighting andrew!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe/Jenn and Andrew!

    When I heard the news - I was shocked and saddened. I was with our bible study group from church. I immediately shared the news with the group and we prayed.

    Many people who don't even know Andrew, are praying for him - sharing in this battle as the fight goes on. Be reminded continually that you'll never be alone in this fight.

    Psalm 73:26
    My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

    Psalm 18:2
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the hornof my salvation, my stronghold.

    We'll keep praying!

    We know how strong you are Andrew! We'll be strong with you!
    -(uncle) Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, we love you and are praying for you fervently! Be strong, and keep your eyes fixed on the One who is fighting your battles and in whom you will find victory!

    "For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you....[God]Fear not, this battle is not yours, but mine." -2 Chronicles 20:12, 15

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Park family
    I have been praying for your precious Andrew since learning about your family on the Cho family blog. I will continue to pray that the Lord strengthens and brings you a supernatural peace during this difficult trial and for complete healing for Andrew.

    "When you pass through the waters I will be with you;
    and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
    When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
    For I am the Lord you God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."
    ISAIAH 43:2-3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joe and Jenn, I found your blog through Peter and Kim's site. Even though I don't know you, in the eternal realm you are family. I just got on my knees and sent a prayer to the Lord for all of you, especially Andrew. Keep your eyes fixed upon the One who causes all things to work together for good. Will continue to pray fervently on your behalf.

    Lord bless you,
    Tina Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joe/Jenn and Andrew,

    I attend Calvary and have also been hearing about Andrew for some time from my brother and sis-in-law Andrew and Susie Pack. I want to let you know that you are in my prayers...that God would provide healing, strength and hope to your family during this unbelievable trial. God is sovereign, almighty and good!

    "Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. In the day of trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me." Psalm 86:6-7

    In Christ,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe and Jenn - from a sister in Christ in Palatine, IL, please know that I'm praying for Andrew - for peace, comfort, protection, a bone marrow match. You may be very familiar with this verse, but it's one of my favorites - John 16:33 "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joe, Jenn, and Andrew,

    You continue to be in our prayers. May the Lord continue to provide you moment by moment strength and endurance.

    Much love,
    Yun, Jean, Caleb, and Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
    My flesh and my heart fail;
    But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and LEAN NOT ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." -Proverbs 3:5-6

    We love you and your family.

    Steve & Jaemi Lim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I am a friend of the Chos and was directed through their blog. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us honestly and with faith. Wanted to share a passage with you -

    Psalm 103:
    13 As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
    14 for he knows how we are formed,
    he remembers that we are dust.
    15 The life of mortals is like grass,
    they flourish like a flower of the field;
    16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
    and its place remembers it no more.
    17 But from everlasting to everlasting
    the LORD’s love is with those who fear him,
    and his righteousness with their children’s children—
    18 with those who keep his covenant
    and remember to obey his precepts.

    Strength, trust and JOY be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! I also was directed here through the Cho's and just wanted to come over here and tell you that I will be praying for your son and your family. Thank you so much for sharing your heart through this blog. I cannot even begin to imagine what you all are going through...having young children myself it's just heartwrenching to hear what your son and your family is enduring...thank you for being an example of having faith in the midst of pain. God shines so beautifully through people like you...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joe, Jennifer...
    Oue family will continue to lift yours up for His comfort. May God cover Andrew with His mighty hand and May He give his doctors much needed wisdom. Please let us know if we can anything else for you.

    Be Strong for He is with you all!

    Deuteronomy 4:31
    For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your ancestors, which he confirmed to them by oath.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joe, I don't know if you remember me from the Canaan days, but I came across your blog from Kim's site. I"m so sorry for this unthinkable challenge you are facing. Our God is BIG!

    Exodus 15:2
    “The LORD is my strength and my defense ; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him."

    God bless you!
    Elvira

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joe! This is Nicole Rim. My mom and I have been praying for Andrew, as well as for strength and comfort to sustain you and your family through the many trials. We will be praying that sweet Emily will be a perfect match for Andrew! (I still remember Emily as the cutest little girl whom I adored--now she is a beautiful young lady!) Please give your children big hugs from me.

    "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Ps. 91:1

    In Christ,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Joe!
    This is Audrey (Chun) So. It has been such a long time, and so sorry that this such an unhappy reason to reconnect. I found the blog from Kim's blog, which I follow but who I don't actually know. Just wanted to you to know that I am/will be praying for Andrew and that I registered just now to see if I can help in some way.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heard about Andrew from my Church, Open Door Presbyterian Church, Herndon, VA and want to share this Word of the Lord with you.
    "I will give you back your health and heal your wounds," says the LORD".(Jeremiah 30:17,NLT)

    1st John 4:17b says, "In this world we are like Jesus". A lady who was also diagnosed of cancer a couple of years ago got hold of this scripture in First John and asked, "Jesus, have you got cancer? You have no cancer and so based on this scripture i have no cancer". Today, to the glory of God she is cancer free. I pray that the promises of these scriptures will be your portion, Andrew. Be healed in the name of Jesus, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,
    I really appreciate your inputs on my situation Dr happy and what could I do with-out you. Thank you in advance.
    I was in a relationship with this guy for the past 1 and a half year.. We became close real fast and were very serious about each other… he’s German and was in the country for her internship.. he left after first 6 months and came back after a couple of months.. he said that he had come down for me.. WE started living – in.. We discussed faMILY, KIDS, future, moving to EU together.. everything was going good until of last August when I started to get jealous about his moves, I got controlling and things started to get worse.. we spoke about it a lot of times where he expressed how he felt but I was not able to understand why I was doing that.. During our discussion I would always say I did .. This February he called it off and since then I have been a mess.. I gave it a lot of thought and realised my mistakes and why I was doing it.. I tried talking to him .. begged him.. pleaded him .. but he says that he has lost all his feelings for me and would never get back to me..I was in my knees praying looking for help, them i fine a comment online how a spell caster help to restored relationship get ex lover back, ” so i decided to give a try coz i love my boyfriend so much. so i contacted Dr happy http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ tell him all my problem and he gave me 100%guarantee that i will have my boyfriend back after the spell so i was gifted and lucky to have contacted him i did every thing he ask of me and to my greatest surprise a day after the spell my boyfriend call me and apology for what he did to me and ask for my forgiveness to come back again for me, we both are happily living together again plz Contact him urgently via.........
    happylovespell2@gmail.com
    or add him on whats-app +2348133873774
    Junia Noel from USA

    ReplyDelete
  23. I receive your mail concerning your situation,the potency of my spell is very strong, powerful and last forever as it is of the ancient power of my ancestors and it is very fast in action. You are to provide me with the below information of you and your heart desires so that i can initiate the spell casting:Your Full Name,Your both photo, Your mobile number, Your Country, Your Age,Your Partner Age,Your partner Full Name. As soon as the above information is received from you, I will help cast the spell okay.

    ReplyDelete