FOLLOW BY EMAIL...

Monday, January 23, 2012

WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

***IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS THAT TELL YOU OF A NEW UPDATE, PLEASE ENTER YOUR EMAIL IN THE LONG SKINNY WHITE BOX AND PRESS "SUBMIT".
 


Andrew sleeping with his new army of stuffed animals!
Andrew as many of you know will need a life saving bone marrow transplant, when he gets into remission.  We need to start the search now, because, unfortunately, Andrew's sister Emily was not a match.  Many of you constantly have asked what they can do for Andrew and for our family, other than prayers, meals and visitations.  One very practical thing that I am asking all my friends, family and community is to get tested to see if you are a potential bone marrow donor for Andrew or any of the ten thousand plus patients that are on the national waiting list, whether it is at a bone marrow drive or getting a simple test that can be sent back to Be The Match foundation.

So with that being said, there will be a bone marrow drive this Sunday January 29th from 11am to 1pm at Calvary Presbyterian Church.  THE CHURCH IS IN THE NORTHERN SUBURBS AND NOT FAR FROM CHICAGO. The church address:


Calvary Presbyterian Church
704 Mchenry Rd.
Wheeling, Il 60090

There is a typo: it should read 11AM, not 11pm.

Some may of heard that a better chance is had if the potential donor is of the same race.  While there is some truth to that, as our doctor said, Andrew's match may come from a man or woman from Liverpool, England or Baton Rouge, Lousiana;-)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND IF YOU COULD SPREAD THIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA (I.E. FACEBOOK/TWITTER) AND GIVE OUT ANDREW'S BLOG ADDRESS THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

http://andrewsfightonestepatatime.blogspot.com/

YOU COMING THIS SUNDAY AND GETTING TESTED, MAY VERY WELL SAVE ANDREW'S LIFE!

***If the parking lot is full, there is overflow parking next door at the AMVET parking lot. 


If you are not able to make it to the bone marrow drive, please go to BetheMatch.org or marrow.org.  At the site, the process of getting tested is explained thoroughly.  On the Be the Match site, there is an in depth explanation of the whole process, it's painless figuratively and physically. American Express for the month has a grant for the month of January that is paying for the kits.  So, make sure you go to the site and get tested!  The registration takes a few minutes and the kit is easy a swabbing the inside of your mouth with 4 "q-tip" type swabs.


***A Special Message to the Asian Community:
Asians in the National Bone Marrow Registry are a paltry 7% of all registered.  And even more disconcerting, Koreans only compromise  1%!  To those in the Korean and Asian community, this is a call to rise up and do something proactive.  Make a difference.  I don't want cultural excuses, fear or any other issue to deter you.  Again, goto bethematch.org and watch and read the literature.  It enlightened me to many things.  Again, are you going to make a difference?  I challenge you.  Andrew challenges you!


Thanks for everything!  Andrew's Army is strong and going forward to kick cancer's ass, tuckus (for my Jewish friends), goog-daang-ee (for my Korean friends)!  Thanks!



video

Our Champ!
And FIGHTER AND SURVIVOR!!!

4 comments:

  1. Mr. Joe,
    The members of CYG and Calvary are continually praying for Andrew and your family!

    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

    -Carolyn J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Andrew and Family,

    My name is Stephanie and I was led to your blog from Kim and Peter Cho in Palatine. I have a 7 year old son who is also in search of a bone marrow donor for a rare immunodeficiency. We are at Children's Memorial Hospital in Day hospital every 4 weeks (we will be there tomorrow Friday 1/27) for Igg infusion. IF there is ANYTHING that we can do while we are there- Please let me know. We have a crew from MC-TV coming tomorrow to interview- if you are interested in getting Andrew's story out there, please let me know, I can be reached via cell at 773-910-3585. Let's work together to find matches for our sons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie. This is Jennifer Andrew's stepmom. I am at the hospital right now with Andrew and will be here for a couple days. What time will you be here in the Day hospital? I would like to meet with you and your son. I have your cell and my cell is: 510-219-7679. We are just on the other side of the floor in room 480. Thanks so much and let us all be strong for our boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is peter in canada
    I really want to kwow Andrew's phone or parent's
    We can help him
    give me a call please
    1-604-356-8118
    God Bless You
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete